Statler Center in Action!
Elizabeth H. Schmidt
The National Statler Center
- Established in 1999 as a unique concept in employment training for those who are blind/visually impaired or physically disabled
- Vocational training program of the Olmsted Center for Sight, located in Buffalo NY
- Instructs physically disabled, blind or visually impaired individuals with career based skills needed to achieve competitive wage career employment
- Long-term employment is our training objective
- Works closely with State Vocational Rehabilitation agencies and Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors to address all areas necessary for successful employment
- Provides written mid-point and final evaluations towards goals as well as frequent conferencing with our staff so progress is measurable
- Employment placement is our measure of success
- Empowers our students to handle the life challenges that impact their economic independence.
Statler Center offers three programs in two presentation options:
In-house, or On-line.
Our in-house classes are provided Monday- Friday from 9am- 4pm.
Our on-line course are organized by instructor with due dates..with their work flow and as members of the class.
- Online courses are available for Business Fundamentals, Hospitality, and Telecommunications for students who benefit from studying at home.
- The program, approved by the New York State Department of Education, is specifically designed to encompass our traditional course content while reducing the amount of required on-site hours, thus reducing lodging and support costs.
- Students who enroll in the on-line learning hybrid are required to complete all coursework as outlined by the National Statler Center program and instructors.
- Brief center-based requirements (outlined under upcoming class dates) are a mandatory component for completing the course and earning a certificate of graduation. The length of the on-site requirement component depends on the number of courses the student is taking.
- Prospective students and counselors considering the on-line learning option should contact the National Statler Center Admissions Office to inquire if this is the correct choice for you.
Is your client ready for our program? The Statler Center program is the step directly prior to employment. We ask counselors to keep in mind that applicants should be motivated and have actively worked toward an employment outcome by engaging in activities such as (but not limited to) placement, job readiness, job clubs or education. Applicants should have an “everyday” use of technology skills, and feel comfortable operating their specific assistive technology in order to ensure success. Over the years, our staff has recognized some critical areas for counselor and client to be mindful of so that the experience is maximized to their benefit and employment success. Please click below for further information about our program requirements, and “Best Practices.”
Openings exist for each of the upcoming programs.
If you or someone you know would be able to take advantage of our unique training, NOW is a great time to contact us.